Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default copper pipe repair

On 20 Feb 2007 13:34:37 -0800, "dpb" wrote:

Two alternatives besides the other suggestions so far...

There are repair couplings which are same as a standard coupling
except don't have the ridge on the inside so you can cut the pipe,

Some don't have a ridge but have a dimple, pretty small and just at
one point, so make sure you get one with neither.

I wish I had known they had these when I did my water heater.

slide it on, then slide it back over the cut area where there might
not be room/flexibility to get a standard coupling in.

Second, for a very tiny pinhole such as this, simply soldering the
hole itself will be a permanent repair as well.

As for the torch in the area, use a piece of tin behind the pipe as a
heat shield to keep the direct flame from contact w/ whatever and
they'll be no problem.

No disagreement.

I keep one of those clamp on things here for an emergency. TWo
pieces, a small rubber sheet on at least one of the pieces, clamp
together around the pipe with 2 (or 4?) screws, or a hook on one side
and two screws on the other. Haven't needed it yet, but I make a lot
of istakes.