Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Is this capacitor polarized?

"mm" wrote in message
On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 14:00:13 GMT, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

If instead I connected them in parallel with each negative connected
to the other's positive, would that give me the equivalent of a
non-polarised cap?

To "make" a non polarised electrolytic, you have to connect two
electrolytics of twice the required value - in your case that would be
10uF

I remember that now from 10 or 20 years ago, although I never knew the
details you give below.

Thanks to you and Peter.

One more question for now. Like I said, the tv must have been droped,
even though there is no damage on that part of the case. I'm
soldering jumpers across all the broken traces.

But my supply of spare caps is small, I guess because I only inherited
a few and there are so many possible kinds to have.

So it will take me a while to get this one little cap. Can I apply
power to the tv without damaging anything if I have nothing where the
capacitor under discussion should go?

Or a bigger or smaller non-polarised one temporarily?

Personally, without knowing the purpose of the cap, I wouldn't go ahead and
apply power. If it was in some kind of snubber circuit for instance, the
effect of it not being there might prove catastrophic to some following
semiconductor

Arfa