Rick Renner

Default Speaking of arbor presses

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 13:28:11 -0500, "Daniel A. Mitchell"
wrote:

I second the usefulness of the chuck on the end of the press ram. I did
very similar, but instead of threading into the end of the ram, I made a
hollow square 'shoe' that fits over the end of the ram, and mounts the
chuck. My ram was already drilled and tapped crosswise, and I didn't
want to drill too many holes in the end of the ram. Fortunately, I found
a piece of square aluminum tube that JUST fits over my ram. I just cut
off a slice of the tube and added an internal steel plate at one end to
make it into a sort of square 'cup'. The plate was drilled to mount the
chuck. Just slide it over the end of the ram, insert the cross screw,
and it's ready to use. It works well.

The chuck is useful for holding smaller pin punches and such, when
pressing or riveting. The chuck jaws don't take the force, just hold the
punch vertical and centered. The forces are transmitted up the punch to
the solid back of the chuck, to the 'shoe', and hence to the end of the
ram. All pure compressive forces.

It's a good use for an old chuck, perhaps one that doesn't hold or
center well anymore.

Just curious ... what use do you make of the sockets on the end of the ram?

Dan Mitchell
==========

Rick Renner wrote:

On 25 Feb 2004 08:51:36 -0800, (Steven) wrote:

A recent posting on arbor presses got me thinking again about my arbor
press. It seems to me that the working end of the ram needs tooling.
My ram is plain on the end, just square stock with a rack cut into the
side.

What if anything have you fellows done to make your press more
useuable? Would one drill and thread the ram on the centerline or
make a clamp arrangement to hold tooling or punches, etc?

Maybe do one end of the ram with "?" and leave the other end plain?

I haven't had any real need to do much more that pressing a arbor and
such, but I'm always looking to "improve" these types of basic tools.

Thanks,

Steven Harris
Everson, WA

I've made a few modifications to my import 3 ton arbor press that may
be of interest. The end of the ram was drilled and tapped for a 1/2-20
screw stud. That then enabled me to attach jacobs type chucks to the
ram. I also made an adapter to allow 1/2 inch drive sockets to be held
on the end of the ram. I also made a screw press adapter for the
press. The adapter is substituted for the ram and pinion. Refer to the
following url's for pictorial details:

http://home.worldnet.att.net/~renner...rpressadpt.JPG
http://home.worldnet.att.net/~renner.../chuckadpt.JPG
http://home.worldnet.att.net/~renner...socketadpt.JPG

Best regards ... Rick Renner

I find that sockets make great press surfaces for the installation of
lipped seals and bearings. With the adapter in place the socket stays
put and aligned with the center of the item being pressed on/in.

Rick Renner