Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default copper pipe repair

Ken wrote:

GoHabsGo wrote:

Hi all,

I have a copper water pipe behind a drywall ceiling. Turns out that
when the ceiling was installed a drywall screw punctured the pipe.
Many years passed until the screw rusted enough and it started
dripping, causing a stain on the drywall ceiling. I listened to the
recommendation of a guy on the HD floor and patched it with a metal
epoxy putty. That held tight for a few years, now the stain is back.
Is there a simple way to patch this by cutting out the bad spot and
using pressure fittings or something similar? I don't want to try
soldering in that confined space. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Larry

If the hole is just a small one created by the dry wall screw, and
if there is room, there is a clamp on device sold at Home Depot that
clamps over the hole and seals the hole with neoprene. You might look
into it.

A screw type hose clamp and a bit of rubber will do it as well if you
can't find a "tailor made" one.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia