Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Default need primer on a/c

What kind of heating system do you have now? Forced air? Hot water? Oil
burner, electric heat? Gas heat? Makes a big difference. How old is the
furnace?

"dkhedmo" wrote in message
news
Seems the cash may become available to install a/c in time for summer, but
I haven't got a clue about the basics. I plan to get 3-4 quotes, but would
appreciate some guidance.

Also, recommendations for/against contractors in western NY/Rochester area
(I know there are a few of you here) would be appreciated (you can email
me privately with that info). Anyone know enough to give a ballpark on an
1100sf/3bd 50's ranch-on-a-slab?

We were planning on doing a ridge vent and adding insulation to deal with
the current ice dam situation. I assume this would assist with efficiency
of the a/c as well? Do I need two different guys, or should one guy be
able to handle everything?

Before a/c became financially possible, I was planning to have an
electrician in to install center light/ceiling fan fixtures in each of the
bedrooms, and see how we do our first summer. Would fans impact the
efficiency of the a/c? (I may still want fans to help with the heat in the
winter, as the heat vents are in the ceilings in most rooms, and I have
been using the fan in the living room to bring the heat down and it has
helped the overall comfort level in that room.)

Thanks for any info,anecdotes, websites, etc.

Karen