Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Is this capacitor polarized?

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 14:00:13 GMT, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

If instead I connected them in parallel with each negative connected
to the other's positive, would that give me the equivalent of a
non-polarised cap?

To "make" a non polarised electrolytic, you have to connect two
electrolytics of twice the required value - in your case that would be 10uF

I remember that now from 10 or 20 years ago, although I never knew the
details you give below.

Thanks to you and Peter.

One more question for now. Like I said, the tv must have been droped,
even though there is no damage on that part of the case. I'm
soldering jumpers across all the broken traces.

But my supply of spare caps is small, I guess because I only inherited
a few and there are so many possible kinds to have.

So it will take me a while to get this one little cap. Can I apply
power to the tv without damaging anything if I have nothing where the
capacitor under discussion should go?

Or a bigger or smaller non-polarised one temporarily?

each - in inverse series. Usually, you connect the two ' - ' legs together
leaving the two ' + ' legs to go to the outside world. Each cap need only be
half the working voltage of the original non-polarised in theory, but it's
not a bad idea to make each one the same as the original as, depending on
what exactly is across the cap, you can't guarantee that the voltage will
divide equally between them. However, all that said, non-polarised caps are
readily available, so unless you are really stuck for obtaining one, it's
better to fit what was originally there.

Arfa
- Franc Zabkar

If you are inclined to email me
for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)