Posted to rec.woodworking
trs80 trs80 is offline

Default 4" vs 6" duct for Dust collection?

uhhhh....it was phone calls.....not driving. Took 40 minutes. Its
someting we enjoy here in California, modern communications. I hear it will
be spreading to other parts of the country in the near future..

"Patriarch" wrote in message
. 136...
"trs80" wrote in :

"trs80" wrote in message
Would a small shop DC system run ok with the mains at 4" smooth bore
PVC ducting vs 6"? I would have about 30' of main and 4 drops using
a 2hp 1600cfm unit and air blocks for the station no used. The DC
has a 5" intake and 12" impeller.

I cannot find locally PVC 6" sewer and drain pipe. I can find
galvanized 6" duct at about $1.40/ft and 4" smooth bore S&D PVC pipe
at $0.58/ft. I hate to spend more of the duct then the DC which
would happen if I go the metal pipe route.

I visited all local Home supply brands (HD, Lowes, CW) and all dont
carry over 4" pVC. And I called an irrigation supply and they dont
carry the light duty 6" PVC pipe (i think its schedule 2379 or
something like that). Im guessing that its not a big seller inmy area
for some reason to do with building codes for such things.

So any way, I was wondering how much performance I lose by going the
4" vs 6" route.

Any thoughts appreciated!

I tried 14 different wholesalers for pipe in my area. Not one carries
the 6" PVC S&D 2379 (thin wall inexpensive pipe). SOme said they
could order it. Most had 6" SDR-35 which is about $2.50/ft.

So my options are down to using the metal ventilation 6" pipe ($1.40ft
at Lowes) but I hear the adapters are very expensive....or.......

Keep all ducting at 4" PVC thin walled ($0.58 at Lowes).

Just a thought here, and I'm not throwing stones.

After visiting that many locations, how much time & money did you spend
in the travel?

Yes, there is a difference in what you use, and how efficient it is in
getting the last iota of dust and debris from the output of your
machines. But after a while, there is diminishing return from the
quest. You're still going to hand sand, cut with a hand saw, chisel or
hand plane. Dragging in stock, particularly rough or log style, brings
in crud. At some point, there is going to be extra stuff on the floor,
on your clothes, and in the air.

Your grandfather worked that way. So did my uncles. The last uncle
died with a grin on his face at 94 years old last spring.

So decide. 4", or the 6" you can get. It's only money.

I put in the 4", if that means anything to you.

Patriarch