Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

Default Spraying vs. Rolling Kitchen Cabinets

I painted our old kitchen cabinets over 20 years ago before foam rollers
came into use. What I used was a small diameter x 4" long foam brush. I
learned how to get a glass smooth finish with them and using a small natural
bristle brush for tight corners where the roller couldn't fit.

To get the glass smooth finish took a few steps to avoid lint in the paint.
1 - Scrub the new roller with a stiff bristle brush.
2 - Vacuum the scrubbed brush to remove the lint.
3 - Put on the first coat with the roller, do not toss or clean the roller
but roll it reasonably dry on newspaper then seal in aluminum foil for
storage.
4 - Do not delay more than 24 hours or the roller will start drying, sand
lightly to remove any lint that the first coat of paint picked up, vacuum
clean, then use the roller again, it will be 99.9% lint free.
5 - This worked perfectly on semi-gloss oil paint, I still have the old
cabinets, only now they are in my workshop as storage cabinets.

"Leon" wrote in message
t...

"GG.and.UN." wrote in message
oups.com...
It's actually pretty hard to find 1" rollers online...

What are the thoughts on a mohair or lambswool roller?

No, don't use a hair type roller.

Home Depot and Lowe's stock the 4" x 1" rollers. They are white in
color. There are also the yellow ones that are very porous. Stay from
them for this job.

And, yes the foam is not real porous like typical foam rubber. Not much
paint soaks into them and the paint goes a long way. Be careful not to
over load the roller until you get the feel.

Look here

http://www.quali-techmfg.com/Pages/rf.html