Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Another mold question

On Feb 20, 3:08 am, (Stacia) wrote:
We just bought our house a year ago and the previous owners put up a
wallpaper trim on the top of the bathroom walls, including over the
shower area. The bathroom for some reason doesn't have an exhaust fan
so we got a dehumidifier, but the wallpaper trim is starting to show
dark spots, which I suspect are mold.
Would it be worthwhile to try and bleach the wallpaper as a temporary
solution? The bathroom is probably going to be remodelled in a few
months. Or should we rip down the trim as soon as possible?

Stacia

Whatever you decide to do temporarily, when you remodel be sure to
install a top quality exhaust fan with a decent exterior vent pipe and
dampers, then get rid of as much of the present drywall in the
bathroom as you can and replace it with mold resistant drywall. Mold
has been known to grow on ordinary drywall compounds in the past, so
using a settimg type compound might be best. Treating the exposed
studs and other accessible areas with a mold killing solution should
be considered before the drywall goes up. HTH

Joe