Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence Lawrence is offline

Default Venting gas water heaters vs. gas stoves.

On Feb 20, 7:12�am, "RJ" wrote:
On 19 Feb 2007 07:39:45 -0800, "Lawrence" wrote:

In Minnesota at least, a gas cook stove does indeed require ,by code,
a vent which goes outside. I'm sure that's true of many other states
as well. *I have seen unvented stoves but they have never been seen by
a building inspector, I bet.

Regardless of code, it is recommended and worthwhile to have a hood
for your gas range. *I don't always use mine but that is what is
recommended by the safety pundits.

That's because Minnesota believes that all their residents
are children who must be protected by government legislation.

Minnesota is a very nice place to live and I don't ever want to
leave. I will agree that the State can be a bit paternal at time, as
most are.

We have long winters here where folk heat their homes continuously for
many months of the year. Every year ordinary people are killed here
by carbon monoxide poisoning. Its stuff like that that causes the
legistature to pass such laws. Grieving relatives are very hard to
say no to in a State like MN where even small things can make very big
news.

I doubt if you can disagree that a hood is a good idea for any cook
stove. Your state may be less restrictive than MN but that won't
cause me to move there no matter where it is.