Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Is this capacitor polarized?

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 15:55:10 +1100, Franc Zabkar
wrote:

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 19:55:37 -0500, mm put
finger to keyboard and composed:

I have to replace a small capacitor that had a lead ripped out when
the tv was dropped and the pcb broken.

It's a cylinder about a half inch high, a quarter inch in diameter,
with two leads at the bottom, and a narrowing near the bottom, like a
waist line, but it gets back to full diameter at the bottom.

It's black and says on it:

extra info
TL [in an elongated circle]
50v4.7uF --

CD71
40/085/10
N --

All my Googling suggests that "CD71" is a bipolar or non-polarised
aluminium electrolytic. Yours seems to be a standard temperature type,
ie -40C to +85C. The "10" may refer to the tolerance.

Thanks. I didnt' realize CD71 would be the part number.

Since I need 4.7uF, I have two polarised 50v 2.2uF caps of the same
appearance as the one I need to replace, that I was going to connect
in parallel, with the negatives connected together.

If instead I connected them in parallel with each negative connected
to the other's positive, would that give me the equivalent of a
non-polarised cap?

- Franc Zabkar

If you are inclined to email me
for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)