Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Is this capacitor polarized?

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 01:48:34 GMT, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

A capacitor of this value and voltage rating could be either polarised, or
not. Usually, a polarised type is quite clearly marked, but an alternative
give-away is the PCB silk screening where it's located. If it is a polarised
type, there is a 99% certainty that one of the legs will be marked.
Sometimes the board will be marked with a " + " sign, and sometimes, there
will be a circle with one side shaded. The shaded side normally indicated
the " - " leg of the cap, and corresponds to a stripe on its body. The ESR

Thanks. OK, there are no polarity markings on the pcboard, so I
guess it is not.

figures for polarised and non-polarised electrolytics are usually quite
different, which could cause a problem if substituting one type for the
other, depending on the cap's circuit function. Also, if the cap is being
subjected to a high level of AC across it, which is why non-polarised types
are usually used, then a polarised type will probably not stand up to it for
very long, although in saying that, standard polarised electrolytics are
often used in the VFD supply multipliers in hifi's and although they do fail
because of the reverse stresses across them, they do last quite a long time.

The cap is on the other side of a resistor that is near the flyback,
and the other side of the cap goes to the pcb ground. I wish I could
say more than "near the flyback" but it's very hard to see. Later
today, I'll try to unscrew and move the pcb from the plastic frame
it's mounted to.

Arfa

If you are inclined to email me
for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)