Posted to alt.home.repair
EvenStephen EvenStephen is offline

Default Aprilaire Humidifier

JK: Yes, this is a drip humidifier. I hear the "click" when I adjust the
humidifier setting in the hallway, and yes, I get water out of the line when
I disconnect the feed line going into the solenoid. I do not here a "click"
at the solenoid.

"Big_Jake" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 19, 7:32 pm, wayne wrote:
I would get a new drip type humifier they are much better and you will
not
have anywhere near the maintenance as all you need to do is change the
filter.
there is a solenoid to turn the drip of water on and off. No standing
water
so no scum or mold isssues are a major plus

ello EvenStephen,

My ten year old furnace has an Aprilaire humidifier (Model 550) on it.
It has quit working. I clean my furnace filters monthly and oil the
motor as required, but I completely forgot to clean the in-line
strainer that is on the humidifier. I tool it apart and cleaned it
but the humidifier still does not pump water through the system I'm
guessing that the humidifier "pump" was water cooled and has burnt
out. Before I go buy an replacement part, could it be something else?
Thanks!

Wayne,

What you are describing sounds EXACTLY like the OP's Aprilaire 550.

It is possible that the solenoid is shot. Listen for it when the
furnace kicks on or "hotwire" it to 24v and listen for it to come on.
Do you get water out of the line if you disconnect it and open the
valve?

JK