Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Cordless power tool batteries deteroriate with time?

a1esta wrote:
On Feb 20, 9:14 am, "a1esta" wrote:

Most manufacturers will state that the life of batteries in terms of
the number of charging and discharging cycles. I remember reading from
somewhere that rechargeable batteries has a shelf life even when the
batteries are not used.

For e.g., when the batteries are not being used, they will still be
"dead" say after 24 months or so. I also heard that for infreqently
used rechargeable batteries, it is necessary to store them at a very
low temperature (about 10 deg. C) in order to to prolong the shelf
life.

I intend to buy a cordless screw driver mainly for use in driving
screws on cabinets, walls etc. And I will use it only about 3 to 4
times per year. And if the batteries really have shelf life, it would
not be econimcal. Would it be better to get the corded tool instead?

Thanks!

Just to clarify what I said:

For e.g., when the batteries are not being used, they will still be

"dead" say after 24 months or so. I also heard that for infreqently
used rechargeable batteries, it is necessary to store them at a very
low temperature (about 10 deg. C) in order to to prolong the shelf
life.

The "dead" means it cannot be recharge or revived again.

Hi,
Self discharge is through the internal resistance. Warm temp. makes the
chemicals more active. There are many different kinds of rechargeables.
They have individual charge/discharge characteristics.