Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Tom Terrific Tom Terrific is offline

Default They did it again!

In article ,
says...
wrote:

Hmm, I actually DO take plastic at my yard sales, since I am a self-
employed merchant, but I guess most people don't. However, since I
rarely shop for anything at all, either new or used, I can't say I
visit garage sales all that much. I guess since I'm not much of a
"consumer" I must not be normal. And, as far as "normal" goes, I can't
say that there are any places I shop without the "whiz-bang"
terminals. I rarely make offline purchases anywhere except the grocery
store, WalMart, restaurants, the post office, and gas stations, and
they all have the "whiz-bang" stuff, and it's MUCH faster to swipe a
$2 purchase than to deal with bills and coins. That way, I don't
irritate you "normal" people. I live in the boonies, not a big city,
and I rarely see anyone else use money either. II don't know what
you're talking about when you say there's a need for cash. Frankly,
since I get at least $700/year in cash back from my credit card
issuer, I can't afford NOT to use cards for everything. As always,
however, YMMV.

Taking plastic as a merchant, will cost you an additional 2%, minimum.
It's utterly foolish to take plastic, at a garage sale no less.

Actually, he's wise to accept plastic (evidently, he already knows
that). As a merchant, you wind up selling a lot more stuff if you
accept plastic - certainly more than enough to make up the fee. Do
you really think that retailers would almost universally accept
plastic if there wasn't an economic benefit to it?

You know, for someone that claims to rarely shop for anything at all,
new or used. And, not much of a consumer. You sure do get a lot "cash
back". You have to spend close to $70K a year in order to get $700 back.

That would be true if the cash back was only 1%. Most issuers are
now paying at least 2% and many go as high as 5% *after* the
promotional period ends, and even higher for certain
purchases/merchants. For example, I got 20% on my Citgo gasoline
purchases for the first 90 days after I got their card last year.
That was $150 just on gas (the fact that they were the cheapest gas
in town was icing on the cake). Add another $10,000 worth of
purchases at 5% on another card and that adds up to $650 for $10,000
in purchases. As it was, I bought a couple of major appliances last
year, so I don't anticipate quite as much this year. Nevertheless,
$700 is not hard to do.

I smell a BSer, big time. LOL, thanks for catching yourself up in lies.

I smell someone who is maybe p*ssed because he didn't get the same
deal.