Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg O Greg O is offline

Default 4" vs 6" duct for Dust collection?

"trs80" wrote in message
Would a small shop DC system run ok with the mains at 4" smooth bore PVC
ducting vs 6"? I would have about 30' of main and 4 drops using a 2hp
1600cfm unit and air blocks for the station no used. The DC has a 5"
intake and 12" impeller.

I cannot find locally PVC 6" sewer and drain pipe. I can find galvanized
6" duct at about $1.40/ft and 4" smooth bore S&D PVC pipe at $0.58/ft. I
hate to spend more of the duct then the DC which would happen if I go the
metal pipe route.

I visited all local Home supply brands (HD, Lowes, CW) and all dont carry
over 4" pVC. And I called an irrigation supply and they dont carry the
light duty 6" PVC pipe (i think its schedule 2379 or something like that).
Im guessing that its not a big seller inmy area for some reason to do with
building codes for such things.

So any way, I was wondering how much performance I lose by going the 4" vs
6" route.

Any thoughts appreciated!

I would go with 5" or 6".
Do you have a plumber friend that can get plastic from a wholesaler?
Also, where are you at? Your location may pop someone out of the wood work
with a local supplier.
Greg