Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Hurricane proof garage doors

MiamiCuse wrote:

Question about hurricane proof garage doors in Miami, FL.

I understand all new doors in south Florida need to be hurricane proof
doors. Does anyone know what exactly that means?

It is a special kind of doors or does it mean a special way of installing
the door with reinforcement?

Thanks,

MC

The one I have seen has steel reinforcement. A friend had new g. door
installed. The floor was drilled so the bars clamp to the g. door and
extend into the floor to brace the whole thing. The principle is that
the door takes a huge amount of wind force, and normal framing was not
sufficient to hold it in place. Seems it would be much more an issue of
bracing than the strength of the door alone.