Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] neillarson@sbcglobal.net is offline

Default Cordless Drill suggestion for grandfather

On Feb 18, 2:47 pm, " wrote:
My grandpa does recreational woodworking, and he recently built a nice
tack chest for me. So in return, I intend to buy him a better
cordless drill. (He's using a piece-o-junk discount store cordless
after his previous two cordlesses kicked the bucket). My budget is
about $150.

My questions:
- Should I get him a hammer drill? I know he won't touch masonry, but
I know he cuts oak with a 1.5" forstner bit, and according to him it's
a physical workout. Would the hammer handle and extra torque help
him?

- I want one that's simple to use but built solidly. If you have any
recommendations, say a particular Makita, DeWalt, Milwaulkee, etc, I'd
like to hear it.

Thanks,

Dave

Best deal I have had was a reconditioned Hitatchi 18V on Amazon, It
came with a fast charger, 2 batteries and a flashlight in a case for
100. Ive had it for a year and it is comparable in all ways to the
Dewalt that I have.