Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence Lawrence is offline

Default Venting gas water heaters vs. gas stoves.

On Feb 19, 8:54 am, "theCase" wrote:
Why do gas water heaters require external venting while gas stoves do
not? Is there something fundamentally different in the combustions
byproducts (CO vs. CO2) that need to be vented for the water heater
and not the stove?

In Minnesota at least, a gas cook stove does indeed require ,by code,
a vent which goes outside. I'm sure that's true of many other states
as well. I have seen unvented stoves but they have never been seen by
a building inspector, I bet.

Regardless of code, it is recommended and worthwhile to have a hood
for your gas range. I don't always use mine but that is what is
recommended by the safety pundits.