Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence Lawrence is offline

Default cat urine under deck

On Feb 18, 6:42 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

How do you feel about people who have bird feeders?

I don't mind if folk feed the birds though I do not. This should be
obvious but birds are wild animals and domestic cats are not and a
different standard of care is required. Domestic animals are
dependent upon us for their care and deserve a standard of care which
is known as humane. A person can be arrested and imprisoned for not
providing this standard so it seems to be rather well accepted.

People do sometimes create problems when feeding birds. If they
don't keep the feeders clean they can kill more birds than they help
when the feeder becomes diseased. Regular cleaning is required since
one visit from a sick bird is all it takes. Also lots of bird poop
can build up on and around the feeder causing problems if its not
cleaned regularly. Most folk think their doing the wildlife such a
big favor by feeding them that they don't feel compelled to keep the
feeder clean.

I wish I could say they were taking care of cats that had wandered
onto the place but that's not it. These neighbors used to keep the
cats properly but decided they didn't like the trouble so they
abandoned them out there to fend for themselves. The cats out there
live a short brutal life where they are diseased, hungry, and in
physical danger their entire live. Domestic cats deserve better
treatment, my opinion.

Wild critters only use feeders as a supplement to their diet and
studies have shown that when feeders are removed they return directly
to natural feeding and mortality is mostly unchanged.

I don't tell them or anyone else how to care for their animals since
it's not my business. I just think they could do a better job. Some
people feel it's more humane to shoot the cats then to allow them to
continue to breed future generations of unwanted cats. Trap and spay
is a better option to me. I won't shoot a cat.

I volunteer at af animal shelter and the surplus of cats is
overwhelming that shelter there and apparently everywhere. Every cage
is alway full. What is going on can only be described as a holocaust
of dogs and cats since uncounted number are put down every day. It's a
real nightmare to me and to other animal lovers.

Though these neighbors are essentially good folk and are friends of
mind I do think they could do better by these cats. Their dogs live
inside and are cared for, why not the cats? Sure it cost money to
spay but they seem to have enough money for other things I would
consider less necessary. I usually don't respond when people bait me
but had a few extra moments today. Good day.