Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default multi-function printer dimming lights

NetKev wrote:
I got a multi-function laser printer for my home office. It replaced
an old laser printer that I had. This new printer causes the lights
to dim in the whole house when I print. While it prints, the lights
rhythmicly dim. This stops once the printer goes to sleep. My old
printer never did that. I ended up buying a new laser printer (for
unrelated reasons) and it does the same thing(if not worse).

Laser printers do draw a lot of current when starting up. They vary and
some do a lot more than others. I have two laser printers and if I put
either of them on the same circuit as my UPS they trigger it. However I
have several circuits in the area so they each are one a separate line and
the UPS-computer are on a third line. No problems. One printer will
slightly dim my overhead light and the other one dims the hall light outside
my library. Works for me.

Note: running 12 gauge wire rather than the 14 gauge that was there would
likely reduce the effect, but it does not bother me so I never bothered.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit