Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ralph E Lindberg Ralph E Lindberg is offline

Default home made chuck for finishing the bowl base?

In article .com,
"JD" wrote:

George has already given a link to the Longworth Chuck on my website.
I just put up a new review on the Rim Chuck being produced by Richard
Benham in Oregon. The link to this review is:

http://www.fholder.com/Woodturning/Rimchuck.pdf

I've just tried this chuck and find it better than Cole Jaws or the
Longworth Chuck. It may be a bit pricey for many of you, but it is a
good solid chuck that is easy to use to turn the foot of a bowl.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com

Here is a homemade version of what Fred has described. I haven't made
this one yet because i can't for the life of me figure out how you
center the bowl into the clamps before turning the dang thing on (I
prefer to understand how something works prior to spending time
building it). Good luck.
http://www.crwoodturner.com/longworth/
JD

Actually that looks like it is the standard 4 pin Longworth, you will
note that the PDF Fred posted is 6 pins. There is a home-brew design for
a 6 pin, but I don't think it's been put on the Web

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv