Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] rthniles@yahoo.com is offline

Default 1st time making a cup

On Feb 19, 5:29 am, wrote: FOUR TIMES!
Hi was curious if anyone has ever made a cedar cup, Dont know what i
was thinking but took a piece of cut off and made a neat little cup it
is my third piece of wood that i have turned after a little reading i
saw that i could use mineral oil and it would finish ok.. My big
question though is did i make the right decision in using mineral oil
or did i just mess up one of my first projects? any feedback would be
great.

Gil,

You didn't mess up your cedar cup using the mineral oil. Were you
thinking of using the cup or is it just for show? I turn a lot of
cedar. Any finish will turn it brighter red and the color will stay
but the smell will not. I like no finish, the color will dull and
turn brownish but the smell will stay. You will have to sand the
cup, with 400 grit, after awhile to revitalize the aroma but it will
keep the aroma for years.

If I'm making something to be used, cup or bowl or platter, I use
either just a pure oil or no oil and just buff with the wax wheel with
minimum wax. People don't want to either worry about a "finish" nor
have to learn how to replace a finish, they just want to use the
item. There's no finish on rolling pins, cutting boards or wooden
spoons, they just grow more beautiful and silkier with use.

Ruth
www.torne-lignum.com