Posted to rec.woodworking
Peter Huebner Peter Huebner is offline

Default Cordless Drill suggestion for grandfather

In article .com,
says...
My grandpa does recreational woodworking, and he recently built a nice
tack chest for me. So in return, I intend to buy him a better
cordless drill. (He's using a piece-o-junk discount store cordless
after his previous two cordlesses kicked the bucket). My budget is
about $150.

My questions:
- Should I get him a hammer drill? I know he won't touch masonry, but
I know he cuts oak with a 1.5" forstner bit, and according to him it's
a physical workout. Would the hammer handle and extra torque help
him?

- I want one that's simple to use but built solidly. If you have any
recommendations, say a particular Makita, DeWalt, Milwaulkee, etc, I'd
like to hear it.

Thanks,

Dave

Panasonic, or Metabo, are what I'd go for. I have a 9.6 and a 12V Panasonic and
they're both very very nice machines. One of the 2 NiMH batteries for the 12V
died before it's time. **** happens ....

Leave the hammer stuff alone. It's a gimmick in a cordless. About as much use
as tits on a bull.

-P.