Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett Lew Hodgett is offline

Default Cordless Drill suggestion for grandfather

wrote:

My grandpa does recreational woodworking, and he recently built a nice
tack chest for me. So in return, I intend to buy him a better
cordless drill. (He's using a piece-o-junk discount store cordless
after his previous two cordlesses kicked the bucket). My budget is
about $150.

My questions:
- Should I get him a hammer drill? I know he won't touch masonry, but
I know he cuts oak with a 1.5" forstner bit, and according to him it's
a physical workout. Would the hammer handle and extra torque help
him?

I beat the crap out of an 18VDC DeWalt for over 8 years before it was
stolen. It didn't owe me anything.

The 18VDC unit exceeds your $150 budget, perhaps you might want to look
at the 14VDC unit.

As far as trying to use a 1.5" forstner bit in a hand held drill, I
wouldn't recommend it. It is a safety issue.

Lew