Posted to alt.home.repair
Lar Lar is offline

Default Termites... bugger

wrote:

Now this is a back fence so it's about 30 metres away from the house.
But I'm worried that if I move the old fence pailings to take them to
the tip that I will cause them to move to my house (off the ground on
brick piers with ant caps). To move the pailings I have to carry them
past my house out to the front. Sounds funny but what happens if
termites jump off the pailings when I'm walking past my house. But I
know they cant survive long outside so I might be OK.

They will shortly die of dehydration or predation of other insects
I dont really want to burn the old fence because I'll have to wait 4
months until Winter and we have a total fire ban here in Australia.

While I'm at it... theres alot of up and downs, and the cost of
termite protection I dont really have the money for. Can anyone point
me to a "do it yourself" solution? I doubt it but no harm in asking.
I'm not a pro but I'm pretty handy around the house and love getting
my hands dirty. I looked at the hardware store and they've got nothing
to practially protect the house. The only have a diesel mix you pour
around the house.

The only thing the diesel will do for the termites is cause them to move
to an uncontaminated area around the home. make sure you have several
inches of clean foundation so they can't easily make entry into the
structure.

Lar