Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim Speedy Jim is offline

Default Carrier Weathermaker - no heat

wrote:
I have a Carrier Weathermaker furnace that I purchased used from a
heating/air conditioning dealer that told me it was working when I
bought it. I've since installed it in a new office and have no heat
from it. Here's what I've done so far:

1.) Hooked everything up (gas, ventillation, electricity, thermostat)
and know that the gas and ventillation is correct - I have gas flow
and the ventillation is a short run (about 5 feet) on schedule 40 2"
plastic pipe. Powered up furnace and shows no errors (flashing) on
the LED on the control board. LED is steady red. Blower comes on,
but no gas valve turns on, no ignitor - no heat. All I get is the
blower motor. Exhaust fan does not exhaust either.

2.) Did the component test and everything worked. Blower motor came
on, ignitor turned on (glowed) briefly, exhaust fam ran for the
correct 5 - 10 seconds - looks like all the components were in good
shape. Did it a second time and same thing - everything turned on and
ran fine second time, too. So the components seem okay.

3.) Checked gas flow. Evacuated the air out of the new gas line and
checked for gas - all okay. There is ample gas flow and it's there at
the gas valve now.

4.) Initially tried a Honeywell digital thermostat and didn't work (no
heat). Tried a manual Honeywell thermostat and same thing - no heat.
Hookups a red to red, green to green, white to white, yellow to
yellow. No wiring changes on either thermostat - no heat.

Not sure what to do next. Does this furnace need wiring differences
from standard thermostats or is there something else wrong? Component
test and control board LED tell me that the furnace should be in good
shape and should run - but still no heat.

Anyone out there know what I'm doing wrong or need to do to make this
furnace run? Any help on this will be greatly appreciated - thanks!!

Put a jumper wire from Wh to Rd right on the furnace
terminal strip (where thermostat connections are made).
Just to eliminate any problems in the 'stat wiring.

Still no joy, remove jumper and put AC voltmeter across
Wh and Rd terminals to see if 24V control voltage is
reaching the terminals. If no 24V, backtrack thru the
fuse/interlocks to find out why.

Is there a diagram on the furnace panel somewhere?

Jim