Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default Termites... bugger

On Feb 18, 4:18 pm, wrote:
Hi - I have an old wooden fence I pulled down on the weekend to build
a nice shiny colourbond fence. When pulling off the pailings I found
termites. Lots of them. Now I know your not supposed to disturb them
but I had to finish the fence. I just placed all the pailings on the
ground where I removed them.

Now this is a back fence so it's about 30 metres away from the house.
But I'm worried that if I move the old fence pailings to take them to
the tip that I will cause them to move to my house (off the ground on
brick piers with ant caps). To move the pailings I have to carry them
past my house out to the front. Sounds funny but what happens if
termites jump off the pailings when I'm walking past my house. But I
know they cant survive long outside so I might be OK.
Will I be?
I dont really want to burn the old fence because I'll have to wait 4
months until Winter and we have a total fire ban here in Australia.

While I'm at it... theres alot of up and downs, and the cost of
termite protection I dont really have the money for. Can anyone point
me to a "do it yourself" solution? I doubt it but no harm in asking.
I'm not a pro but I'm pretty handy around the house and love getting
my hands dirty. I looked at the hardware store and they've got nothing
to practially protect the house. The only have a diesel mix you pour
around the house.

termite protection I dont really have the money for. Can anyone point
me to a "do it yourself" solution?

Yeah, avoid wood / soil contact.......Use only appropriately treated
wood for soil contact.

Wood in contact with soil is a a sure way of providing termites a
place to live while they get ready to invade your home.

Pouring diesel mix around your house is a good way to contaminate the
ground water, don't do it.

cheers
Bob