Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Turner Turner is offline

Default Which Midi lathe?

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 11:08:29 +0000 (UTC), Bruce Barnett
wrote:

Well, if it's not too complicated a shape, then I think mounting the
blank will be the most time consuming. Cutting to shape can be fast.
You can make a simple outline template to make sure the sizes are
uniform. You can even grind special cutters.

I am new to wood turning, that's why I include a duplicator
in my shopping list. If you mean "special cutters" like form
tools, use in metal turning? You will need more than 1K to
buy the necessary tool room machineries. :-)

How do you plan on holding the wood in the lathe?

There are various methods that a speed turner can use. Here's a couple
of ideas

The Steb Center system allows you to quickly replace pieces
while spindle turning. You do not need to turh the lathe off
while replacing pieces.

Sound Greek to me, any website with pic to see the
attachment?

Some chucks allow you to feed stock through the head of the
lathe - as in a large dowel. You loosen the chuck and push the
stock further into the head, and retighten.

That's what I am looking for, but before I could do that I
would need a lathe with a hollow spindle with a chuck that
has a hole, right? I am planning to turn a dowel rod about a
max 5/8" dia. Any midi lathes that fit the description? I am
inclines to avoid a full size wood lathe as I have space
constrained.

Some use vacuum chucks.

A vacuum chuck would require a vacuum pump or an air operate
chuck, a constant supply of compress air and these chucks
are by no mean cheap and added additional problems. Nob, I
am avoiding it. I did say earlier I have experienced in
metal lathe plus turret lathes, screws machines....Acme,
Index, Wickman, Davenport, Gildermister, etc.

Now the last twp may not be possible with the Jet Mini. I'm not sure.

Thank Bruce, I appreciate your suggestions.