Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default What wood is this?

In article , wrote:
On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 18:27:37 GMT,
(Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article .com,

"avid_hiker" wrote:
Western Red Cedar possibly if not the Douglas Fir? What ya think?

The OP's photo doesn't even resemble any type of cedar or fir. It is
*unquestionably* a hardwood, and it's almost certainly ash specifically.

Mr. Miller

There are so many variables. You cannot tell with by this photo alone
what species it is.

Agreed -- and I didn't attempt to do that. I identified the genus.

Furthermore, it certainly *is* possible to tell from this photo alone a number
of things that it is *not* -- for example, it is definitely not maple. It
likewise is definitely not Douglas fir or western red cedar, neither one of
which have grain that bears more than a remote resemblance to that shown in
the photo. Nor is it any type of pine.

One can only make asumptions for what was
available locally.

Do you seriously contend that it is not possible, on the basis of this photo
alone, to identify the wood as a hardwood?

I'll go farther than that: it *is* a hardwood, and with 100.0% certainty it is
*not* any of the following:
- any species of maple
- American sycamore
- cherry
- walnut
- American beech
- any species of birch
- tulip poplar
If you disagree, please cite which characteristics of the wood in the photo
are consistent with one or more of these woods.

You need to physically have the piece in hand or a
picture of the whole entire post for more clues.

Not correct. Much can be told from photographs, to someone who knows what to
look for.

I've graded/inspected all types of wood for 30 years. So I believe my
opinion is fairly good.

If your opinion includes the possibility that this piece is maple, fir, cedar,
or beech, for example, I disagree with your evaluation of the quality of your
opinions.

--
Regards,