Posted to alt.home.repair
PaPaPeng PaPaPeng is offline

Default Gas Fireplace - Fan Runs - Very little comes out

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 16:08:01 GMT, wrote:

You have to use the candle test to determine if they are working.
Watch the smoke when holding the candle in front of the exit vent.

Use an incense stick for smoke. You can even close the fireplace door
to watch. . A fan will blow out the candle and the fireplace flame may
melt the wax..

Is it that delicate of a flow? I can sense air movement from the hair
on my hand while on the high setting.

Are not most gas fireplace fans tied into a thermostat? This one is.
You can over ride it too. So if one uses the thermostat it will only
blow warm air.

Regards
Dale

(Gas) Fireplaces are not my area of knowledge. But as someone else
said the fan shouldn't be so powerful that it sends out more heat out
through the stack than it radiates into the room. My gut feeling says
a gentle waft to direct burnt gasses up the stack and not seep into
the room (through down draft from the stack -cold air hot air density
differences or just outside wind) seems to be the correct condition.
I'll be visiting a home with a gas fireplace tonight and report back.