Posted to alt.home.repair
aspasia aspasia is offline

Default cat urine under deck

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 19:10:59 GMT, wrote:

aspasia wrote in message
m...
On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 17:46:25 GMT, wrote:

"cavedweller" wrote in message
groups.com...
On Feb 17, 11:57 pm, "
wrote:
(snip)

If these are feral cats, then they should be delivered to the nearest
animal shelter for humane disposal.

It's worked for me.

Killing feral cats is pointless- another one just takes over the
territory,
and the supply is basically endless. In this weather, if you can rig up a
freeze-proof hose, and soak it a couple of times, it'll learn not to hang
around.

aem sends...

The supply is "basically endless" because pet owners don't take
responsibility for spay & neuter. Much more education is required,
and even so, there will always be selfish people, alas.

Meantime, you might call your local shelter and see if they will
give/rent you a humane trap, or even bring one out. It couldn't hurt
to ask. By continuing to let the feral cats breed, you multiply the
problem geometrically.

What works is 'catch, neuter, and release', but that takes funds nobody has.
Absent that, nature abhors a vacum, and the only population control is
carrying capacity of the area. Humane trap is meaningless if the shelter
just puts them down anyway. It's like sweeping a beach- no matter how many
you cart off, there will always be more.

aem sends...

That was my point, if I didn't make it clear -- get the shelter to put
them down as humanely as possible.