Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Plug not working

Typically, a range hood is wired to a lighting branch circuit. Is anything
else not working? At around 1300 watts a full sized microwave should have a
dedicated circuit, in any case, you've probably tripped the breaker

"Autumn" wrote in message
We have a over-the-stove microwave. We had wiring for a exhaust fan that
we used to put a plug in for it. That wiring had not been used for almost
30 years, was just there. Put in a box and a plug and it worked well for
almost a year. Then all of a sudden the microwave stopped working. It
works with an extension chord, so it was not the microwave.

So I thought it must be the plug and went out to buy a new one. I did not
know about different amps when buying the first one, but this time saw
that there were different amp plugs. I figured I probably had not bought a
20 amp plug the first time and it simply failed because of that. The
circuit breaker shows for the kitchen is 20 amps, so I bought a 20 amp
plug.

We installed it today, twice, and still nothing. We don't know what to do
now? Any suggestions? We have one of those simple testers that you plug in
to be sure something is wired correctly, nothing happens when we plug that
in either. Works on the nearest plug to the microwave fine. All the plug
in the kitchen work fine, except this one.

Is there anything else we can do before having to call and electrician?

Thank You.