Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default cleaning or washing the quilt.

KB wrote:
"ODB" wrote in message

QS = queen size, sorry.

Its not old, maybe 8-10 years.

I think ill try the washing method with a little detergent only and give
it a very very good solid dry.

thanks all.

Drying hint: Buy a set of tennis balls (I paid $2 for 3) and throw them in
the dryer with the quilt. It's a little noisy, but this keeps the down from
bunching up. Everything dries much more nicely and easily. No joke! Also
make sure you dry on low heat or just air.

I can definitely recommend the duvet cover, also. Some can be pricey, but
you can find them for as little as $20, too (think close-out stores, or at
least one of the big bedding stores).
KB

I dry quilts outdoors, either draped over our hedge or laid on the lawn.
Lawn is good when grass is tall enough to need mowing, clean sheet
under the quilt. Good air circ, not strong sunlight. Not a good idea if
you have mulberry trees or a lot of birds )

If you are going to wash it, I would put detergent on the greasy or
soiled spots. If you have a tub you can use outdoors (or a small
child's pool), line it with a sheet then put the quilt in to wash. You
might be able to get the fabric clean(er) before the down gets
saturated. Use the sheet like a sling so's not to tear fabric lifting
it while it is saturated and heavy. Roll the whole thing up to squeeze
out excess water, spin gently in washer to get out more water, lay out
or air dry. I have washed down pillows, and it is very difficult to get
real down saturated with water, so it is iffy to guess how the comforter
will work in washer.