Posted to rec.woodworking
George George is offline

Default mahogany for cutting board?

"charlieb" wrote in message
Mahogany, being a somewhat open grained and relatively soft
wood might not be the best for something to which a sharp edge
and fluids will be applied. Save it for a nice box or turning.

It's really nice to work with hand tools and the Cuban Mahogany
version was called The King of Woods.

Young lieutenant of my acquaintance asked if I could fix the damaged corner
on a coffee table she had. Her dad had made it years ago in Gitmo. You
guessed it, top was 22 inches by 2 inch by 36 inch Cuban mahogany. The
years had been kind to the color and the finish, but the movers, as always,
hadn't. I enjoyed just looking at that wood.