Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default Any such thing as in-place pipe dope?

On Feb 17, 6:16 pm, Bob wrote:
BobK207 wrote:
remove the bad joint & replace it using a union somewhere in the
system, that will allow everything to be tightened as needed...that
way you won't have to take "everything" apart.

Union couplings should be used only in situations where the pipe would
need to be opened for service. Otherwise use a solid pipe coupling with
left hand thread on one side.

Otherwise use a solid pipe coupling with left hand thread on one side.

Since this special coupling has left hand thread on one side, the end
of the mating pipe must have left hand thread as well.

Sounds like all this left hand / right hand stuff would be more work
than taking the whole thing apart.

Since I can't see the installation from here, I suggested adding a
union ....since the area in question is above ground & accessible.

Using that left hand / right hand coupling sounds like a good way to
booby trap some poor guy years from now. esp since the work is not
covered up.

Union couplings should be used only in situations where the pipe would

need to be opened for service

Cite?

I've a fair amount of gas line work done & they always seem to put in
a few unions along the way.

cheers
Bob