Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop` Pop` is offline

Default Any great way to start my generator?

mm wrote:
On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 19:11:39 -0600, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

In article .com,
"Eric in North TX" wrote:

Ether? I'm not a huge fan of the magic juice, but if I needed to get
the generator started, it would come out quickly. Bonus!, you could
use up the tired gas, once it was started, I'll bet it would run on
it ok.

Same here on the ether. It might be time for a new spark plug
and air cleaner filter.

Dean

Same here on the ether.

I have a lawn mower that runs fine, but it will never start without a
jolt of ether first (known as starting fluid, in an aerosol can. Some
cans say they include "top cylinder lubricant" and they sell for the
same price.)

When I had a '67 Pontiac, before fuel injection and electronic
ignition, it was hard to start in the winter. I ran some small
diameter aquarium tubing from the glove box through the fire wall to
the carburetor. I took the small stiff tube that fits into the top of
some aerosol can buttons, and I cut it in 2 pieces, part on the can,
to which I attached the hose, and part in the carb end of the hose, to
make it come out as a spray and not a dribble. Then when it was cold
out, I only had to open the glove box and spray some ether and the car
started every time, for more than 2 winters. Easy to do. No more
opening the hood.

You must have had bad hose/s because that story is full of holes, too, and
not true.