Posted to alt.home.repair
Rick Blaine Rick Blaine is offline

Default Water Softener - Does it make water salty?

"perrylep" wrote:

In the case of someone who is advised by their cardiologist to monitor
sodium intake...what are the numbers?

I had this discussion with a friend recently who is advised to watch her
sodium...my thoughts are that the salt added to the water is minimal...and
that for drinking, she might filter or buy "canned water". But my thinking
has no numbers to back it up.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sodium/AN00317

In most cases, softened water contains between 40-80mg of sodium per litre. To
put that in context, ask yourself how many litres of tap water you drink a day
and consider that a single slice of white bread contains between 150-200mg of
sodium and a can of chicken noodle soup can conatin over 500mg of sodium.