Backlash

Default Strangest first project.

Today someone was asking about my first metalworking project as a kid, so I
thought I would share it with you guys.
When I was 12, my uncle gave me an old lawnmower, along with an old
wringer washing machine. These were my first project parts aquisitions. I
wanted a power tool, so I took the motor off the washing machine. The mower
was next, losing the head and all external engine parts along the way,
except for the flywheel and coil assembly. I made angle clips and mounted
the
engine block to a plywood base with the piston upright. Took the rings off
the piston, drilled holes in the top of it to mount two angle clips a couple
of inches long. Added an oil dipper on the connecting rod. Cut pipe spacers
and mounted a small piece of plywood to the top of the block with
countersunk head bolts to allow the "table" to clear the angle clips. Bolted
a sawzall blade to the top of the piston using small bolts through the
clips, and cut a slot in the table for it to pass through. Belted the
flywheel and motor together, wired it, and plugged it in.
I was proud as hell of my new "jigsaw" I had created, and got my Dad the
carpenter, to show him my work. He was duly impressed, and asked me if the
spark plug wire was still sparking. This got me to thinking, so I rigged up
a ground rod and attached it to the block, then ran a probe from the
ignition lead to ground a foot or so away from it. Upon trying my new
device, I discovered I could saw wood and shock fishing worms out of the
damp ground nearby at the same time!
I'm 51 and I haven't stopped building things since that first worm
shocker/saw. I chuckle out loud every time I happen to think about that
thing.

Anyone else brave enough to share THEIR first project?

RJ
--
"You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me, instead of you."