Posted to misc.consumers.house
[email protected] bigjim@backpacker.com is offline

Default Replacing Carpet Impact on Resale Value

Just get it cleaned. If you have nice wood floors I'd reomve carpet
and fix the wood. The house I bought had carpet and the first thing
we did upon moving in was to remove it! Used caroet is kind of skanky
and new is not impressive enough for me to buy a home unless it is
EXACTLY the type/color/quality I would buy. Remember you cant fool
many buyers into thinking a used house is new. Most buyers are
looking at design /flow and style of a house. The family room was red
in the house I bought. May be trendy but is ugly as heck. It was
nothing a gallon of paint couldnt fix.
Dont try to be like the TV shows. I would stay clear of any of those
"flipped" houses as most work was shoddy and a quick coverup.

On Feb 16, 10:24 am, "Kirk" wrote:
The carpet in our current house is not great, but not horrible
either. It is a neutral cream color, but is worn with some
imperfections around vents, bannister, etc. We could have it cleaned
and it would look good enough to sell, but not great. If we plan on
selling withing 6-12 months and we replace the carpet soon, will we be
very likely to recoup that money in resale value?