Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Any such thing as in-place pipe dope?

On Feb 17, 3:18 pm, wrote:
I had some bumbleheads doing some remodeling work awhile back, and
recently I smelled propane near an exterior, above-ground run of black
pipe they installed. Tested with soapy water, and sure enough one of
the joints at an elbow is leaking. Getting this run apart so that I
can get to the elbow joint will be a hassle. Is there any way to
repair this without disassembly? Perhaps a liquid pipe dope that I
could brush on, and would seep in well enough to seal the pinhole
leak?

If it were anything but a flammable, I'd consider it, but it's too
risky w/ the fuel line imo.

If it were me, if you don't want to do it yourself, I'd hire somebody
competent and send the bill to the bumbleheads. I guess strictly
speaking, they're owed a chance to make it right, but I'd be reluctant
to give them another chance since it is the propane line.

If it is a _major_ dissassembly to get there, while not ideal, could
cut the line and insert a union to put it back together -- while fewer
joints is better, I'd be more comfortable w/ two non-leaking joints
than one leaker w/ a patch...