Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default Any such thing as in-place pipe dope?

On Feb 17, 1:27 pm, Speedy Jim wrote:
wrote:
I had some bumbleheads doing some remodeling work awhile back, and
recently I smelled propane near an exterior, above-ground run of black
pipe they installed. Tested with soapy water, and sure enough one of
the joints at an elbow is leaking. Getting this run apart so that I
can get to the elbow joint will be a hassle. Is there any way to
repair this without disassembly? Perhaps a liquid pipe dope that I
could brush on, and would seep in well enough to seal the pinhole
leak?

Thanks,

Kelly

Loctite. Bleed off pressure first.

disclaimer: you know this isn't the "proper" method :-)

(Wonder what else they did??)

Kelly-

No "brush on" sealant that I am aware of that will solve this
problem

Your best bet (really the "right" way) for a good fix since this is an
above ground run.......

remove the bad joint & replace it using a union somewhere in the
system, that will allow everything to be tightened as needed...that
way you won't have to take "everything" apart.

Just near the leaking joint.

cheers
Bob

Jim-

I was having trouble getting my post to "go" while you where giving
your answer....which Loctite product are you suggesting?