Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default Pulling wire in the walls

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 16, 9:23?pm, "Bob F" wrote:
"Eigenvector" wrote in message

. ..

"Don Young" wrote in message

"Eigenvector" wrote in message

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
y.net...
In article ,

"Eigenvector"
wrote:
One question, when re-wiring an outlet, for instance to replace the

old
useless Romex with clipped grounds, with fresh new 12/2 - how do you
tell
where the wire goes? I mean how do you tell without hacking chunks

out
of
the wall?

Why do you *care* where the old cable goes?

Run the new cable however you can, or however you must, to get it to
where you
need to get it. Disconnect the old cable at both ends and abandon it

in
place.

--
Regards,

There are a few reasons why someone might care. One it's sloppy
construction, but that's not a big deal to me. Two, I would like to
recycle the old wire. Three, it would be nice to be able to use the

old
wire to pull the cable run for the new wire - which is why I care
where
it goes.

Fishing a new cable into an existing box is routine for old work
electricians. There are a lot of ways to do it. If you have attic
access
you can try pulling the old cable out but it is pretty unlikely to
work.

small sash chain dropped down and a long wire with a hook will work
most
times. You can get a little access around the box where the repair
will

be
covered by the plate. The best thing is a friend who has experience as

an
old work electrician.

Don Young

I got one of those (friend who's done lots of old work electrical). I
watched him pull his old aluminum Romex at his place and replace it with
copper - so it can't be useless or impossible to pull the old stuff like
Miller is claiming. It wasn't easy though and he did need to punch a few
holes in the wall. I guess I'll wait then, he doesn't fly back into the
country until May'ish.

If you want to patch holes in the wall, great. I would choose to
abandon the old wire if it is stapled in place.

Bob- Hide quoted text -

Yeah the old wire is basically valueless, after you go to all the
removal work and strip all the insulation and patch the excess holes
you will HAVE to make.

Far easier to bag groceries, and pay will be better

You know that's NOT what you said when I asked a similar question back a
ways. Google "Saving Romex" and I see you name with a response, very
helpful response too, and I see your response here and it's (in my mind)
totally at odds with what you said some 6 months ago. What gives?