Posted to alt.home.repair
Lar Lar is offline

Default Getting Rid of Mice in Basement

mm wrote:
On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 13:55:41 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , mm wrote:

Does this mean that they didn't die from it? How long does it take
for this stuff to kill a mouse, and do they carry it back to their
nest before or after they eat it?

How long? Too damn long. That's why you should use spring traps: they kill in
an instant.

Not an instant I don't think. At least not all the time. Way back in
Brooklyn 24+ years ago, We had mice for a year out of the 12 I was
there, and one night I was still awake when the snap trap snapped. I
heard him whining for about 6 seconds before he shut up. 6 seconds
isn't that long though. My roommate said traps were cruel and we
should use a cat, but months later it occurred to me that cats really
torment mice before they kill them. If a mousee can feel fear at all,
he must be scared when the cat is holding him and taking him to the
kittens etc.

Even the silence after 6 seconds doesn't mean he was dead yet, because
in the glue traps they struggle for a while and then become still for
a long time. But if I touch the glue trap, they start struggling
again.

I have a handful of customers that have the "Rat-Zapper" Impressed me
enough to want to sell them myself, but they are pricey to begin with so
don't think they would be worth what I would have to charge to be
profitable to handle.

Lar