Posted to alt.home.repair
Old Boat Old Boat is offline

Default Insulation on IC recessed lighting

The cans that I have are utilitech LWSIC32 from Lowes. They have a max
rating of 75 watts with a par 30 LN bulb and do have an overload sensor on
the top of the can. I have BR 30 LN 65 Watt bulbs in them which they say are
also OK. It is the paper on the old insulation that I am worried about. It
is about 20 years old and says on it, this paper will burn. I have had them
on all morning for about 5 hours and they get only warm to the touch so far.
I was thinking of just removing the paper from the insulation around the
cans. What do you guys think of this idea. Of course the guy at lowes was no
help.

LJ
"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 17, 8:32 am, "C & E" wrote:
"Old_Boat" wrote in message

Is it OK to leave the paper vapor barrier of the fiberglass
insulation
touch the cans of the IC rates ceiling light fixtures? If not what do
you
do?

LJ

Check with the mfg'ers website. Personally, I fear fire more than a
tiny
heat loss.

Those cans have an overload that shuts the fixture off if they get too
warm.

So it is probably okay.

But I wouldn't do it.

Also you are limited to a 75 watt max lamp it those.

That depends upon the age and manufacturer of the housing. Older models of
IC housings allowed higher wattages. Each housing will have a label
indicating the max wattages of various lamps allowed

Higher wattage lights tend to trip the overload.