Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] timothy.w.oleary@verizon.net is offline

Default upgrading electrical service in an old house

On Feb 17, 11:52 am, Bud-- wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
russ-bo wrote:

We have purchased a home built in 1890 that requires an electric
upgrade. It is currently 100A and we would like to upgrade to at
least 200A. The electric runs from a pole behind our backyard, then
underground for about 100 feet, directly into our basement. We live
in the Boston area. About how much should we plan to spend? Any
thoughts on ranges greatly appreciated. Thanks much.

If you do it yourself, you can buy a 200-Amp "kit" at a box store for about
$250. It takes about four hours (exclusive of trips BACK to the box store
for such things as wall anchors, wire nuts, etc.).

Then there is the meter socket, unless existing is rated 200A. And the
service wire has to be upgraded, which requires larger conduit. And the
underground run may or may not have to be replaced depending on the
existing size and whether owned by the customer or utility. If the
utility replaces it, they may charge the customer.

--
bud--

While you're on the subject, here's my story
I am just getting started on a similar project. My old service is 100A
overhead, my load center is a 24 breaker C-H; the main breakers occupy
two of the 24 positions in the panel.

My oil burner died, and we're going with an electric heat pump and air
handler. The old system included central air, and there is a 220/50A
branch circuit off the old load center to an outside disconnect.
However, the old oil burner ran on a 120/20A breaker, and the new air
handlers require 220/75A. My existing load center cannot provide this.
At first I thought it would require an upgrade to the service and the
load center, which would be pretty difficult since he 100A load center
was shoe horned into a tight spot and the new 200A load center would
be too big to fit in the same spot, not to mention the labor involved
in transferring over the branch circuits.
So as an alternative, I'm uprading the service and the meter pan right
next to the existing one, and adding a fused outdoor 200A disconnect
with two 100A feeds, or whatever they're called. Then running a 100A
branch circuit to where the new air handler will be, with a fusable
service disconnect at that location. The other feed goes to my
existing load center.
My electric company will supply the new meter and pan, as well as
upgrade the lines from the pole to the premises at 'no charge'. By
leaving in the old meter and service, I can wait until the last
possible minute to switch over the existing load center to the new
meter.
My questions a
What do you call the box that will go right after the meter? A fused
outdoor disconnect? A hub?
Does it need to come off the side of the fuse panel as opposed to off
the bottom? I was advised that I wouldn't be permitted to take two
wires dirctly out of the meter, is this true?
Can I eliminate the main breaker from my load center since it will
have a 100A breaker in this new box? What size cable do I use for the
mast, and ofor the branch circuit?
I can locate the box ffeding of the new meter in such a way that the
two feeds exiting will go out the back of the box, is that a plus? (my
existing mast into the meter, and feed to the load center are just a
wire, no conduit.
Hope this helps, and I hope you can help me too.