Posted to alt.home.repair
beecrofter beecrofter is offline

Default Do I need to vent a walk in shower that is replacing a tub/shower combo?

On Feb 16, 6:25 pm, wrote:
I ripped out a 30 x 60 tub/shower and am replacing with a 34x 60 walk
in shower (prefab fiberglass pan). The plumbing is currently a 2"
drain that tees into a 1.5" tub drain and 1.5" tub overflow drain. My
plan is to cut off the t and replace with a 1.5" elbow connected to
the shower drain. Will this work and will there be any venting
problems? I.e. is the venting already handled by the existing plumbing
(which is below concrete slab I can't see).

thanks!!

Nah it doesn't sound like you are interfering with the existing vent
so don't expect a problem there.

Code however calls for a 2" drain for showers but for the life of me
with all the low flow showerheads in use I doubt you really need more
than 1-1/2

I just built a tiled enclosure on the same sized pan mostly because
the big box couldn't find a set of fiberglass walls that were not
cracked.