Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim Speedy Jim is offline

Default upgrading electrical service in an old house

RBM wrote:
There are to many variables for anyone here to guess. For instance, where I
work, there are two utility companies, the exact same job would cost $1000
more for one utility company over the other, because of their particular
requirements. Contact some local electricians and get prices

"russ-bo" wrote in message
oups.com...

We have purchased a home built in 1890 that requires an electric
upgrade. It is currently 100A and we would like to upgrade to at
least 200A. The electric runs from a pole behind our backyard, then
underground for about 100 feet, directly into our basement. We live
in the Boston area. About how much should we plan to spend? Any
thoughts on ranges greatly appreciated. Thanks much.

Not to mention that "in the Boston area" may mean
bringing the entire dwelling electrical up to
recent Code level on a service upgrade.

Start with a call to Bldg Dep't or whoever
controls permit applications where you live.

Jim