Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default upgrading electrical service in an old house

That "kit" includes only a small portion of what's required for a service
and includes none of the equipment for the lateral, which is probably the
most expensive part of an underground service

"HeyBub" wrote in message
russ-bo wrote:
We have purchased a home built in 1890 that requires an electric
upgrade. It is currently 100A and we would like to upgrade to at
least 200A. The electric runs from a pole behind our backyard, then
underground for about 100 feet, directly into our basement. We live
in the Boston area. About how much should we plan to spend? Any
thoughts on ranges greatly appreciated. Thanks much.

If you do it yourself, you can buy a 200-Amp "kit" at a box store for
about $250. It takes about four hours (exclusive of trips BACK to the box
store for such things as wall anchors, wire nuts, etc.).