Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker Steve Barker is offline

Default Big oak and your foundation

I would consult a tree expert before cutting any major roots. BUT he may
say if you top the tree and so some serious pruning on the top side, you can
get away with destroying some roots. You'd only need to cut roots on the
house side. I can't really see an oak being a problem after only 29 years
unless it's 5' away from the house.

--
Steve Barker

"Tazz" wrote in message
I have a big oak in my front yard. Gorgeous tree. It was planted by
the original owner in 1978. As you an imagine it is large. The roots
have really screwed up my driveway. And i am sure it is already under
the house.

What can you do?

I have heard guys tell me to go out as far as I can an dig a ring and
then cut all the roots I can see,. Cut a 3 foot piece out of them and
that will stop alot ( not al) of the roots getting up under the
foundation of the house.]

This doesnt seem right with me but had to ask if there are
alternatives OTHER than cutting down,

thanks in advance

Tazz